The journey to Israel was very exhausting and long. I went from Columbus to Chicago to Washington DC to Vienna to Tel Aviv. I had several hour layovers in each place except Washington DC, where I had 20 minutes to catch my flight. On the flight to Vienna I sat next to a beautiful Bulgarian Horticulturist from San Francisco. She was fascinated by my stories of Sitka and wants to visit me there when I return. We talked most of the way, of plants, family, rain, traveling, love and the length of the flight.
Once in Tel Aviv I had no troubles finding Uncle Johnny. He had a sign with my name on it, but I recognized the Koterba in him immediately. His humor and witty jokes gave me a second wind and I quickly forgot the exhaustion I had been feeling. He brought me to Yael's where I met her husband Nadav and their little girl Lia. After a beautiful meal and a few glasses of wine I slept for 18 hours. Yael is as beautiful as I remember her being 12 years ago. They've been introducing me to the Tel Aviv life and it is so incredible. Much hotter than I am used to. I'm afraid what I packed is very Alaskan, so tomorrow I am going shopping in Tel Aviv to find summer dresses. Many summer dresses.
The plans with my first farm seem to have fallen through so this week is dedicated to finding a Kibbutz.
Today we went to the market for our evening barbeque on the rooftop. Tomorrow is Sunday and the beginning of their work week. Weekends are Friday and Saturday. I'm going with Nadav into the city where I'll explore and shop and wait until the work day is over. Not speaking Hebrew is somewhat intimidating but thankfully every person I have met speaks English very well.
Yael and Nadav have been so kind and welcoming. They took me out to experience night life in Tel Aviv. The city truly never sleeps. Quite opposite from what I've been used to the past year in Sitka. It's a fun and welcome change. Next week I think we are going to Jerusalem and the Dead Sea.
No comments:
Post a Comment